April 11, 1888 (Weston, CT) – September 28, 1918; 30 years old
Last local address: Walter Avenue, Norwalk
Entered the service on September 6, 1917
Serial number: 65329
Unit: 102nd Infantry, Company H

Parents Joseph Thomas Moore (1859-1898) and Irene Moore (1861-1930). Possible sisters Emily (1886-1956), Ida (1896-1965), and Minnie (1899-1972). Possible brothers DeWitt (1891-1967), Minor (1893-1972), and James (1897-1975).

Worked as a brass finisher for Henry Lockwood Manufacturing in South Norwalk before the service.

Also served 4 years in an artillery unit with the Connecticut National Guard.

Died from wounds received near Marcheville, France. Grave markers show September 26, 1918, and official records show September 28.

From an unknown newspaper but likely The Norwalk Sentinel. The clipping was found in a collection in the Norwalk History Room of the Norwalk Library.


Private Fred Moore, who is with Company H, 102nd U.S. Infantry, now in France, has written to one of his many friends in town here, telling him something about what it is like to be on the firing line. The letter follows:

Dear ——–;

I got the last letters you sent O.K. and am very glad you and all the bunch are all right, as it found me the same. The weather has been very nice latterly, so nice that one cannot help but feel good after such a rotten winter, and this country is certainly very pretty at this time of year, even on the battle line there are traces to show how nice it much have been before the war. The two boxes of chocolates and cigarettes you all sent, including Gus, came O.K., and I thank you all very much and the papers I get all right too. The conditions have improved here by about 100 percent in regard to food and YMCA service, which was very poor when we first got here. The YMCA is a very fine place now where there are Americans, and they have a stock of nearly everything we want. And say, Fred, I never will laugh at the Salvation Army again. They are doing fine work here. One day we were on a long hike, and arrived that night at a certain town, rather late, but the Salvation Army was there to meet us with hot chocolate. You can imagine how much the boys appreciate their efforts and that is only one of the many good things they have done and are doing. All the boys from Norwalk are in good health and fine spirits, only John Gvanzc is not with us now. He left our company and went to the hospital when he was slightly gassed, but he is all right now. He was transferred to Company C, 107th Supply. We miss him very much but we write often. We all seem to think the war will end this summer, but we are going to lick, lick that pup if it takes ten years. We have had several scraps with them so far, and they always got much the worst of it. I have put three of them out of business so far, and have shot at many others, but couldn’t see if they were hit as only part of their heads were up. Hope to have better luck the next time I go to the line. Well, I will close for now and will write to Jim tomorrow, with best wishes and good luck to you all. Your old pal, FRED. The letter was written on May 25th, 1918. Sgt Moore died 4 months later.

From an unknown newspaper but likely The Norwalk Sentinel. The clipping was found in a collection in the Norwalk History Room of the Norwalk Library.

Was an Expert Marksman and Participated in All the big Battles of the War

Was a Member of Company H, 102nd Infantry, A.E.F.

Sergeant Fred M. Moore, Company H, 102nd U.S. Infantry, is missing in action since September 25th. This definite announcement was received by his family last Saturday in a telegram from Washington and was corroborated in a letter written by Private Sam Polley, Moore’s comrade in the 102nd. Sergeant Fred Moore had been reported killed in action some time ago, but this rumor was run to earth by his friends who conducted an investigation but their fears that he was injured or captured were confirmed upon receipt of the letter from Washington.
He was among the first four boys to leave Norwalk and went to Camp Devens in the early part of September 1917. Three days after arriving at this cantonment they were shipped to New Haven, where they were attached to the New Haven Blues, and assigned to Company H, of the 102nd Infantry, whose valor and heroism inscribed their names in gold in the history of our part in the conflict. Soon after joining the Blues went to Camp Upton and from there to France, where they arrived about the first of October 1917.
With the few comrades from this city who were with him, he passed through the greatest experiences in the war that befell the lot of any soldier. He was in action continually with a few rest periods intervening since a year ago last October, and except for a slight touch of gas during the summer, he came out unscathed.
The progress of the local young man in the service was phenomenal and he was looked up to by his fellow privates and admired and respected by his officers. Shortly after his arrival in France, he received his corporal stripes and later was made sergeant. He was one of the best marksmen in the regiment and it was his regular duty to do “sniping work.” The performance of his duties demanded that he be stationed in an obscure spot some distance in advance of his regiment and in front of the trenches. His fearlessness made him finely adapted to this work which he was carrying out in great form and he had every chance of soon receiving a commission. He went through practically every big engagement including those at Verdun, St. Mihiel, and Chateau-Thierry.
He was in regular correspondence with his friends and family in this city until September 24th, when his last letter was received. He knew of the coming attack and the last thing he did was to write to his mother and to his friend Frederick Coleman of North Main Street. The next morning, he went into what was proved to be his last fight and that evening was reported missing.
The account of that day’s battle is given in a letter written by Private Sam Polley, which will be printed in full in tomorrow’s edition, and reads as follows: “On the morning of September 25, the big Verdun drive started and we attacked the enemy so we could occupy his artillery and his men which would thereby make it easier for the Americans on the Verdun front. We were at Saulx and we attacked the German city of Marchville that morning. We drove them out easily, killed a lot, and took a bunch of prisoners. But as soon as they saw we stopped advancing they opened up with all their artillery and machine guns. We fought all that day from early in the morning until after 6 o’clock. It was that night we missed Fred Moore from home.

Thus the military career of one of the finest soldiers Norwalk had the honor to produce is ended, but it is earnestly hoped that more news will be heard from him and the entire city is looking for the best. In an endeavor to learn more about him, his friends in this city have cabled to his commander to get the details and the latest reports of him.

From an unknown newspaper but likely The Norwalk Sentinel. The clipping was found in a collection in the Norwalk History Room of the Norwalk Library.


At last, the fate of one of the first Norwalk drafted men to leave this city has become known. Mrs. Fred Moore of Weston, last night received official notification from Washington that her son, Sergeant Fred M. Moore, Company H, 102nd Infantry, had been killed in action, “date not known.” The young man was one of the first three to leave Norwalk for Camp Devens and after but a few days there he was attached to the 102nd regiment. They arrived in France in October 1917. Sergeant Moore was reported as missing in action from September 25, 1918, in a telegram received by his mother last November. The last letter that he wrote to his mother was dated September 24. The next morning he went into battle again and that was the last seen of him by any of his comrades. Sergeant Moore was advanced to one of the most dangerous posts in the army, that of “sniper” and did such effective work that he was advanced from private to sergeant in a very short time. Except for a touch of gas during the last summer, he came unscathed through all of his battles, those of Chateau-Thierry, Verdun, and St. Mihiel, as well as many others until the start of the last Verdun drive. The Americans were at Saulx and attacked the morning of September 6, advancing on the Germans at Marcheville. During that time, Sergeant Moore was missed and his comrades saw no more of him. He had many friends in this city who learned with sorrow this morning of his death.

From The Norwalk Hour June 9, 1921

The body of Fred M. Moore of Company H, 102nd U.S. Infantry, Sergeant and sniper in the World War, has arrived at the Hoboken, N.J. pier, according to a telegram received from government officials by Mrs. Mary Moore of Weston, mother of the deceased. The body will be sent to Norwalk, and the funeral will take place here with elaborate military services. Members of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars of Norwalk have been informed of the arrival of the body and will make arrangements for the funeral in cooperation with the family of the deceased. Sergeant Fred M. Moore was killed in action at the time of the fight at the village of Marcheville. He and a comrade were in an advanced snipers’ dugout. His comrade was wounded, so Moore sent back several men for relief for the wounded man. While the two were alone in the dugout, the Germans appeared in a big wave, and, according to the story of the wounded man, told later, Moore put up a terrible battle. He received a bullet wound in the stomach and was taken prisoner. The wounded man played “possum,” so he could escape. He was so badly wounded that he could not have helped Moore in any way. The Germans left him for dead, where the Germans had left him, and his remains were interred there in the soil over which he had fought and given his life for a comrade. He has been praised as a real fighting man and one of the best in the ranks. The deceased had often remarked that he would hate to die peacefully at home if he pulled through the war all right. There was confusion at first in connection with his death, for he had been advanced from corporal to sergeant, but had not received his sergeant insignia. He was buried as a corporal, while his record showed him a sergeant. Sergeant Moore was among the first Norwalk boys to go to camp, leaving this city in company with Fred Moeller, Bill Eade, and John Kvanz in September 1917, for Camp Devens. He went through the greatest experiences that befell the lot of any soldier. He had always been recognized as a good marksman, so was made a sniper. He received his corporal stripes shortly after his arrival in France, and shortly before his death was made sergeant. His fearlessness made him adaptable to the dangerous work of the sniper. He went through practically every big engagement, including those of Chateau Thierry, St. Mihiel, and Verdun. He was in regular correspondence with his mother and Norwalk friends and wrote to Norwalk on September 24 of 1918, the day before the big battle in which he was first missed. The big Verdun drive started on September 25 in the morning continuing to after 6 o’clock that evening. Sergeant Moore was then missed. It was not until some time afterward that the actual fate of one of Norwalk’s finest soldiers was made known. The sergeant was well-known in Norwalk and a graduate of Norwalk’s schools. He was a member of the Uncas tribe of Red Men, Second District. Many buddies and civilian friends will turn out to honor him when his body arrives in Norwalk.

Hanford Place in Norwalk renamed Moore Place in 1921 in his honor

To read the entire NARA burial file, click HERE.

Sergeant Moore is buried at Coley Cemetery, 27 State Route 57, Weston, Connecticut. Note the two markers for one plot/person, likely representing a family-purchased stone, and a government-provided one.


Published by jeffd1121

USAF retiree. Veteran advocate. Committed to telling the stories of those who died while in the service of the country during wartime.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: