November 18, 1920 (Norwalk, CT) – June 20, 1942; 21 years old
Last local address: 209 Liberty Square, East Norwalk
Enlisted August 13, 1940
Serial Number: 12007458
Unit: 24th Pursuit Group, Headquarters Squadron
Missing in Action (MIA); DPAA case is considered “active pursuit

Born to Michael P. (1881-1927) and Ellen M. O’Brien Dunne (1881-1976). Two sisters, Mary F. Dunne McCarthy (1911-2005) and Rita J. (1914-2004). One brother Joseph G. (1918-2006).

Norwalk High School, Class of ’38

Captured at Corregidor, he became a POW of the Japanese Army in the “Fall of The Philippines” in April-May, 1942. Survived the Bataan Death March. James died while a POW of the Japanese Army at POW Camp 1, Cabanatuan 1-2-3, Nueva Province, Luzon, Philippines 15-121 during the war. He was buried in a communal grave in the camp cemetery along with other deceased American POWs; however, his remains could not be associated with any remains recovered from Cabanatuan after the war.

From The Norwalk Hour July 19, 1944

Word was received from the War Department today of the death of James Michael Dunne, T-5, U.S. Air Corps, in the Philippines, who has been missing since May 1942 when Corregidor fell. Mrs. Ellen Dunne, Liberty Square, East Norwalk, the boy’s mother, had not heard from her son since May 7, 1942, when a letter came through from him which presumably had been brought to this country by Francis B. Sayre, who was the last governor-general of the Philippines. It has not been revealed whether the soldier had been in a Japanese internment camp at the time of his death nor what the cause was. When he enlisted in August 1940, Corp Dunne went to Fort Slocum and in the following December, he was transferred to the Philippines. His first assignment was at Nichols Field, Manila, and later he was transferred to Clark Field, outside the city. He went to St. Joseph Parochial School and Norwalk High School, was a parishioner of St. Thomas the Apostle Church, and was a member of the Calf Pasture Life Guards.

From The Norwalk Hour December 29, 1941

Private James M. Dunne, son of Mrs. Michael Dunne of Liberty Square, is safe and well in the Philippines, according to word received here today by his family. News of Private Dunne came in a telegram from the local boy to his mother and merely stated he was safe. Private Dunne, who enlisted in the U.S. Army in August 1940, leaving for the Philippines a short time afterward, had been stationed at Nichols Field on Luzon until two months ago, when he was transferred to Clark Field at Fort Statsenburg, some distance away, on the same island. Both airfields have been mentioned as subjected to frequent attacks since the war between Japan and the United States began.

From The Norwalk Hour June 12, 1946

T-5 James Michael Dunne of the Army Air Corps who was captured in May 1942 on Corregidor and later died in Cabanatuan Prison Camp, is being honored this week by the Benjamin Franklin Junior High School. He enlisted in the Air Corps in August 1940, received training at Fort Slocum, and was transferred to the Philippines. His first assignment was at Nichols Field, Maine. He was later transferred to Clark Field outside the city. T-5 Dunne attended St. Joseph’s Parochial School and the Franklin School from 1935 to 1936. He also attended Norwalk High School. He was the son of Mrs. Ellen M. Dunne of 209 Liberty Square.

Memorialized at Manila American Cemetery and Memorial Tablets of the Missing, 1634 McKinley Rd, Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines.


Published by jeffd1121

USAF retiree. Veteran advocate. Committed to telling the stories of those who died while in the service of the country during wartime.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: